About Casa Gorordo Museum

The Casa Gorordo Museum is a 19th century lifestyle museum and the centerpiece project of the Cultural Heritage Program of the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. The house itself was built in the 1850’s and originally owned by Alejandro Reynes y Rosales. It was bought by Juan Isidro Gorordo, a Spanish merchant, in 1863. Four generations of the Gorordo family have lived in this house including Bishop Juan Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop.

The girth of the structure is evidenced by the massive stonewalls on the lower portion of the house. Made of coral stones, these walls are good protection from fire and typhoon. The huge posts of molave or tugas extend from the basement to support the clay tile roof. Its wide windows of sliding panels are fitted with translucent capiz shells.

After it was acquired, the house was first renovation between 1980 and 1981. It was officially opened to the public on December 15, 1983. In 2005, a major renovation was undertaken to replace aging structures. In recognition of the historical and social significance of the house, the National Historical Institute (NHI) conferred on the Casa Gorordo Museum the title “National Landmark” in 1991.

Address: 35 Lopez Jaena St. Cebu City, Cebu

Telephone No. +63(32) 418-7234 loc. 703

Contact person: Maybellane Sanchez

Museum Hours: Tuesdays to Sundays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Admission Fees: P30 (Filipinos); P75 (Foreigners); P75 (Balikbayan)

Non-adults (below 18): P10 (Filipinos); P50 (Foreigners); P50 (Balikbayan)

Senior citizens: P10 (Filipinos only)


Post a Comment